The Goldberg Law Firm

legal help nationwide

icon888.637.6463toll free

Email: [email protected]

3 critical numbers to remember in medical malpractice claims

Any person who has suffered an injury, illness or loss as a result of medical malpractice will have enough to worry about in terms of recovering from the incident. The last thing people want to deal with is the complexity of filing a legal claim.

However, filing a medical malpractice claim can be one of the most important things you can do if you or a loved one suffers damages from a medical mistake or misconduct. To make the situation a little easier to approach, we will break these claims down to three important numbers.


This is the number of days you generally have after an incident to file a medical malpractice claim in Ohio. This number can be changed, however. For instance, if you provide written notification to the subject of your claim alerting them to the fact that you are considering taking legal action, then you have 180 days after that notice to actually take the action. There are also exceptions if an injury could not have been reasonably discovered in a one-year period.


There are three types of damages that the courts may award in medical malpractice claims: economic, non-economic and punitive. Economic damages include hospital bills and calculable expenses; non-economic damages include pain and suffering; punitive damages are to punish defendants for particularly egregious or reckless actions.

$250,000 or $350,000

These are the caps that Ohio lawmakers have put on the non-economic compensation that an individual can collect in a medical malpractice lawsuit. The limit is set at either $250,000 or three times the economic damages awarded, with a maximum of $350,000.

In cases where the injuries are permanent, catastrophic or disfiguring, the cap on non-economic damages for an individual increases to $500,000.

Don't be left with zero

If you or a loved one is the victim of medical malpractice, there is a lot at stake, from your financial recovery to your physical recovery. You do not want to wind up without legal options or the compensation you deserve. In order to avoid this, you can consult an attorney sooner, rather than later, to discuss your case and your rights.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Awards & Recognition

Badges Badges Badges Badges Badges Badges Badges

The Goldberg Law Firm Co., LPA | 31300 Solon Road, Suite 12, | Solon, OH 44139 | Phone: 888-637-6463 | Maps & Directions